Friday, January 13, 2012

Wouldn’t it be better for the pig to lose his pig-individuality if he can become God?


So long as the millions live in hunger and ignorance, I hold every person a traitor who, having been educated at their expense, pays not the least heed to them! So long as there is desire or want, it is a sure sign that there is imperfection.


A perfect, free being cannot have any desire. 


Soft-brained people, weak-minded, chicken-hearted, cannot find the truth. 


One has to be free, and as broad as the sky. Some people are so afraid of losing their individuality. Wouldn’t it be better for the pig to lose his pig-individuality if he can become God? Yes. But the poor pig does not think so at the time. Which state is my individuality? When I was a baby sprawling on the floor trying to swallow my thumb? Was that the individuality I should be sorry to lose? Fifty years hence I shall look upon this present state and laugh, just as I now look upon the baby state. Which of these individualities shall I keep?


Swami Vivekananda 

No comments:

Post a Comment